Your portable fire extinguishers are essential. To being with, they are your first line of defense in the event of a fire.
Service of your fire extinguishers by a professionally trained and certified technician is a must. As a result, you ensure that your extinguishers are in a suitable location, fully-charged, and in proper working order.
Benefits of Annual Inspections
Annual inspections ensure your fire extinguishers:
- Are accessible when in need
- Are in the correct designated locations and are free of use
- Contain no visible defects. These defects may include insufficient pressure,
puncture holes, corrosion, or broken or missing parts
- Safety seals are intact and present
- Pressure gauge readings are correct
- Operating instructions are present, legible, and facing outward on each unit
Alarm Detection Systems follows the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guidelines. These guidelines state that all portable fire extinguishers undergo a visual monthly inspection and maintenance by a licensed fire protection company on an annual basis.
First, you must determine the type of extinguisher in your facility. As a result, you will choose the the correct testing program.
Commercial properties commonly use ABC portable fire extinguishers due to the many types of fire hazards they cover.
- Class “A” Fires are a result of ordinary combustibles. Examples are paper, wood, cardboard, or other items that leave ash.
- Class “B” Fires are a result of combustible or flammable liquids. These include gasoline, oils, and other accelerants.
- Energized Electrical Fires are known as Class “C” Fires.
Maintenance of Extinguishers
Furthermore, our comprehensive services include more than “just” an inspection and tag. In particular, we address any repair or recharge of any extinguisher that does not meet the above requirements.
Annual Maintenance visits include removing the tamper seal and operating the pull pin. Afterward, our inspectors install a new tamper seal.
Additionally, Alarm Detection Systems ensures cylinders are full (by lifting or weighing them if possible). Also, it is worth noting that ABC fire extinguishers require Hydrostatic testing every 12 years. Extinguishers receive this test to ensure they are capable of maintaining the correct amount of pressure for discharge in the case of a fire.
In conclusion, Alarm Detection Systems can help your business keep fire safety equipment functional and in proper order. Our Commercial Security Consultants can assist you at 1.800.446.7519.
About Alarm Detection Systems, Inc.
Alarm Detection Systems is one of the largest alarm firms in Colorado. It has been family-owned since 1968. Alarm Detection Systems provides business alarms, fire alarms, card access, security cameras, and home security systems. Our main office is in the Denver metro area. We service all of Denver, Boulder County, Northern Colorado, the Eastern Plains, and Colorado Springs.